Thursday, October 21, 2010

DUMBTH, the blog

I was originally going to call this blog DUMBTH.  But someone beat me to it.  And unfortunately, once they created the blog they never used it.  So I had to go with an alternate name.  So I came up with "Sigma 5".

The Sigma-5 is a computer introduced by SDS in 1965.  Some of you old timers will associate the initials SDS with the Students for a Democratic Society.  But in this case, the initials stand for Scientific Data Systems.  SDS was bought by Xerox in 1969.  The Xerox Sigma series of computers was yet another example of ineptitude by Xerox in the computer field.  (If you want more dirt on Xerox and computers check out the genesis of the Apple Macintosh).  I have fond memories of coding for the Sigma 5.  It was one of the earliest computers I worked with.

No comments:

Post a Comment